the first article for this week is about that teachers are allowed to search students if they suspect them of carrying a knife. the link is below: http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspathreadID=6466&&&edition=2&ttl=20070531083421
Since Wednesday 30 May teachers in the UK are allowed to search to search students if they think that they're carrying a knife. This goes for the students who are a member of a gang. Not only were teachers given the legal right to search the students' pockets and backpacks, schools are also given guidance in how to work with airport metal detectors. So they can screen the youngsters like that. Students who refuse to be screened can be send away at the school gate and are not allowed to enter the school.
I think it's rediculous that teachers are given the right to search their students. That the police's job. I don't think that searching the students and screening them with metal detectors will make the school safer. From my point of view, I'd say that putting metal detectors at the school gate and searching the students turns a school into a disguised prison. It's almost we're treating the students like criminals. Of course, it is important that a school is safe, but metal detectors and searching the students is too much. Wouldn't it be better if the school would hire some security officers and let them do the searching if that really would necessary?
the second article for this week is about youngsters drinking and then driving home. The link is below: http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspathreadID=6443&&edition=2&ttl=20070531084409
Police forces say that the number of youngsters between the age of 17 to 24 that drink and drive has increased enormously. One police force even said that it's the worst it has been in ten years. The police wonders why the drink-drive message doesn't come across while the campaign is going on for years. There are also several police forces that have stated that more and more youngsters fail the road side breath test. Some police officers even told the BBC that the drink-drive message has skipped a generation.
I think that the police officers who said that the message has skipped a generation have a point. Every generation these days becomes more verbal and doesn't really care about other people. They only seem to care about themselves. The drink-drive campaign should continue I think. It is a good campaign and although it doesn't really seem to work at this moment. It might get it's effect back one day. I really hope it does anyway. Drinking and driving is one the most dangerous things to do, it's not only dangerous for yourself but also for all the other people that participate in the traffic.
Thursday, 31 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I don't really agree on your opinion in your first article from this week. On one hand I think it's good that students are being searched before they enter the school to see whether or not they are wearing knifes or other subjects that are not allowed. I do think that this will make the school a lot more safer then it was. On the other hand I agree with you, this will make the school such as a prison and that's not the intention of being a school. Again, people should trust and respect each other much more then they now a days do. Then searching students before entering the school isn't necesarry at all...
Your second article is quit interesting! I wonder if the numbers of youngsters in Holland who are drinking and driving at the same time has increased too.It strange that the numbers in the UK are increasing because they are advertising about this subejct a lot. I think it's dangerous to drive after having alcohol. Right now I am learning to drive a car but I am sure that I am not going to drive a car after I had a beer! Definitly not!
Post a Comment